Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Card Reader on my Chaos 1212 & Fedora 17

Card Reader, Why Don't You Work?

I only discovered that this isn't working when I went to use it.   I actually don't have a lot of use for a card-reader; I use USB thumb-drives most of the time.  For some reason, I felt compelled to get this working.

After a little TI (technical investigation using lspci, lshw, google) I found that the card reader in my Chaos 1212 (i.e. clevo w110er)  is some variation of  a PCIe Realtek Card Reader.

To get it working I pretty mostly followed the directions in this RH bugzilla bug.   Please season to your taste, but here is what I did:

su - root
cp wherever/rts-bpp-dkms_1.1_all.deb . 
ar x rts-bpp-dkms_1.1_all.deb
tar xvf data.tar.gz  
mv usr/src/rts_bpp-1.1/ /usr/src/.
mv usr/share/rts_bpp-dkms/ /usr/share/.
cd /usr/src/rts_bpp-1.1/src
make
make install
depmod -a 
modprobe rts_bpp 

At this point there was some noise in dmesg that suggested there was now a card reader!   Further, palimpsest (i.e. fedora's 'Disks' utility) now showed a generic multi-format drive (fwiw prior to the above, palimpsest didn't see this device) .   Now, I can dig around to see if I can find a card to test it with!

I haven't added in the udev stuff yet, but seems like it should work fine.

Here are some other related links I found that might be helpful:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=256956
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-922794-start-0.html
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=854762

No comments:

Post a Comment