Monday, June 4, 2012

More on NVidia Optimus and Fedora 17 (on a Clevo w110er)

I found out in a round about manner that all was not quite right with my new laptop.    Besides some general video flakiness, my vga output wasn't working or rather it was working very poorly.  

After much fuss including a ill-fated adventure to get bumblebee working, I discovered something:

cat /proc/cmdline

The tip-off was nouveau not loading from bumblebee, and while visiting the nouveau TS wiki, I found out that kernel mode setting was an essential ingredient for a happy nouveau install.   Who knew?  

That is where 'cat /proc/cmdline' came to play.   There it was, 'nomodeset' on a kernel boot line.   How did that get there?   Oh yeah, f17's default installer no workie; using the vesa one probably introduced this and it has been stuck in there ever since.

A manual boot & edit via grub2 and I verified that this indeed resolved a few things (but not bumblebee with nouveau), including vga out.   Here is how I fixed it, permantly:

  • expunge nomodeset from /etc/default/grub
  • rolled back all my bumblbee stuff (no directions for you, since I had never shared any in the first place).
  • re-instated the blacklisting of nouveau and reset bbswitch to disable nvidia graphics on boot.  
  • cd /boot
  • stumble around some as I knew enough about grub to do some basic to intermediate stuff, but this new grub2 is different animal.
  • found about grub2-mkconfig 
  • grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
  • dracut --force /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)   #rebuild initramfs with kms and no nouveau
  • reboot.
Now, I was where I wanted to be:  my chaos 1212 running well with vga out support totally usable and detected by gnome3's "Display setting's" application.  

The nvidia stuff nicely disabled and tucked away for different project or another try with bumblebee. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have problems with fn f8 and fn f9 buttons to control the brigthness. Are you the same problem?

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...Sorrry.....Mine do not work either.

    Here are 2 hints you could try.

    The nvidia driver (I am not using this) has and "EnableBrightnessControl" configuration option. Perhaps the intel one has like this too.

    On another laptop with an older gnome, I actually had this working but I made key board shortcuts for this & the gnome keyboard manager actually had command values like: XF86MonBrightnessUp and XF86MonBrightnessDown.


    I will try to tinker with this sometime in next day or so...



    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you ever able to get the nvidia proprietary driver to function? I've been trying to on my own Clevo W110er and have been failing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really never tried the nVidia proprietary drivers on my W110er.

    I am watching to see what happens; there was rumors that nVidia may actually provide some real support for optimus on Linux sometime....

    ReplyDelete